Online Sleep Assessment
Start the conversation from the comfort of your own home. Fill out the form to get started.
Benefits of the CPAP
Since CPAP treatment is effective at treating the symptoms of OSA, it can:
- Make you more alert and concentrated during the day
- Stop you from waking up with headaches
- Improve your overall mood
- Increased memory
- Reduced snoring means your partner should sleep better
- Reduced risk of accidents during the day
CPAP also decreases the chance of developing health issues related to OSA, including:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
CPAP side effects
These side effects do not occur in all users of the CPAP.
Strap marks or sore skin
By finding the correct fitting CPAP mask you can reduce or eliminate this symptom.
Dry nose and sore throat
This side effect can be reduced by attaching a humidifier to your CPAP machine.
Nasal congestion, runny nose and sneezing
Using a nasal spray can fix mild symptoms, or a nasal decongestion can be taken.
Who is the CPAP for?
The CPAP treatment is for patients suffering from OSA and may be recommended based on home sleep study results. The CPAP treatment is effective if it can be tolerated.
We know that not all patients can tolerate the CPAP treatment, however tolerance can require commitment and time to adjust to the treatment.
It’s important to speak to your sleep physician to understand how you may be able to overcome issues related to CPAP treatment.
Many CPAP machines also offer a timed pressure ramp setting which allows the airflow to begin at a minimal rate and slowly rises to the correct level so that the patient can fall asleep with ease.
If a patient’s sleep test recommends that CPAP treatment may be suitable, then a CPAP-titration study may be recommended.
This study tests different levels of pressurised air flow and to find out whether the CPAP treatment will be effective.
CPAP Availability in Cairns:
Should you have had the home Sleep Test performed through Future Dental, purchase of CPAP machines and consumables like masks, hoses etc, can be arranged at very favourable pricing with our partner Sleep Laboratory in Melbourne, HomeSleep.
- During a diagnostic sleep study conducted in a Sleep Unit, quite often a CPAP machine will be fitted during the night to determine its effectiveness.
- CPAP Shop 2D Flecker House, Cairns
- Air Liquide Healthcare CPAP and Oxygen Services, 147 Martyn St, Cairns
- Calanna Pharmacies around Cairns
- CPAP Cairns, O’Brien Healthcare 3/320 Sheridan St
- Marlin Coast Amcal Pharmacy, Campus Shopping Village, Smithfield
CPAP Machines are usually trialled by hiring a machine for 1 month although some outlets allow up to 3 months hiring before need to return or purchase.